Author Topic: It's the end of the World... of Warcraft.  (Read 9817 times)

Offline quixote

• Administrator
  • not-a-noob
Re: It's the end of the World... of Warcraft.
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 01:20:46 AM »
I'm working on humvee, so hopefully in a few weeks i can get him to commit to a a couple runs, and maybe jetnee will get lucky and get a friday or saturday off soon =(  belsham and mcnub quit completely, but I don't know where the rest of our dps ran off to.  Since when was it easy to get tanks and healers and hard to get dps?!

Offline Dweedy

• Leader
  • Spammer
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 04:29:06 AM »
Seriously, its like everyone dropped off the face of the planet. We haven't had any gquit recently... people just stopped signing up.
/facepalm.
-=| The Dwee's |=-
The battle chicken will get us all.

Offline Starfire

• Spammer Extraordinaire
  • Friend of Excalibur
  • Spammer
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~etai
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2009, 03:45:12 PM »
Well, it's been 2 weeks since the release of 3.1, and... well, they already implemented nerfs. Mimic is two bosses away from clearing Ulduar (we only raid 3 nights a week)... yeah, this is about what I expected. Though Ulduar is a cool instance with interesting enough encounters the difficulty is simply too low - bye bye Jesters, they obviously had enough of the Blizz nerf bat and you can't really blame them. Heroic mode is a good idea and all, but even heroic mode doesn't seem to be so heroic when the instance itself is lacking. "We killed (insert boss) on heroic mode!" doesn't have that '(tri)umph' to it like previous dungeon clears in BC and vanilla did (being part of Tiras for one of the first C'thun kills was damned epic). The only exception I really see is heroic Yogg, that actually looks quite challenging, as well as Algalon since he's on such a limited timer.

On the up-side, though the difficulty is lacking the instance itself is nicely designed and... dual-specs rock. Oh!, and... and... I like... pie. And Pirates... maybe the next instance will feature Pirates? Cool, ghost Pirates that eat pies and are lead by the the dread Pirate Le Chuck! Monkey Island, ALL HAIL!!

You are right. It doesn't. Killing Yogg-Saron is sooooooo freaking anticlimatic. We were done our second day on him. But it felt so much better killing General Vezax on hardmode in 10 man. It was pretty sad.

That said though, the Hardmodes are hard. Very hard. Freya 3-Elder is easily comparable to M'uru in difficult. And only 2 guilds in the world have killed Mimiron hardmode. 0 guilds in the world have killed XT-Deconstructor's hardmode. Only 3 have done 1 Light in the Dark and none have done Alone in the Darkness.

The content is there and it's certainly challenging. And it's worth mentioning, even though my guild razed Yogg-Saron the first week we saw him, on Dragonblight only 4 guilds have managed to kill him and 2 of those kills only came this week.

To me... the most climatic kills were Ragnaros, Nefarian, Illidan and M'uru. (I don't think anything will ever take away the memory of the first Ragnaros kill, it's definitely number one.)

I guess part of this is also... they just don't make lore like it use to be. There were 2-3 entire zones dedicated to lore about Ragnaros. There were several instances to build up both Nefarian and Ragnaros. After doing UBRS, you really just wanted to fuck-up Nefarian. And that whole Onyxia line...

Then you have guys like Yogg-Who? I mean he's only introduced in Northrend and he gets a few crumbs of quests in Grizzly Hills and Icecrown... (And I didn't even quest in Icecrown). Sure he has Halls of Stone and Halls of Lightning associated with him... but it's a very loose association and very remote from the LBRS/UBRS/BRD experience.
Starfire - 60 Priest

Offline Delmore

• Friend of Excalibur
  • noob
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »
Fuck do I hate agreeing with Starfire.

Ill post my ventpost from Mimic forums:

Ya and to add to that its a feel of "fake" hardness of a boss. Its similar to turning up the dial on a electric chair to see how much you can take as opposed to, oh shit I'm in an electric chair.

I will never believe these changes are not the effect of 2 things: Vivendi and WoW forum whining. Both have an effect on perception of whats true to this game and what isn't.

Blizzard as a rule has always been perceived to me at least as a company who was true to its content, but this last while has kinda made me feel differently. Its why I quit. I came back for 1 reason, I enjoy the game as a pastime, and I enjoy BSing with the people, the latter being more predominant. I wont say that the former is as much as it used to be, and I can guarantee that its NOT because I've played so long.

I enjoyed this game, RIGHT up to the point that they made drastic changes to homogenize the game. I personally dont care to be the only tank class per say, but I can tell you this, I saw what they did to nerf warriors so that the other classes could be SEEN as viable.

I still enjoy raiding, I still like downing bosses but I dont enjoy it as much as that first Nefarion kill or that first Illidan kill. They were amazing, knowing that little/no one else did it added to the "accomplishment". The secondary arguement to that is always that other people didnt see it. TBH, I DONT CARE. I did what I did to do what others didnt, to see content others didnt, not to say that I saw the same guy with electrical wire tied to my balls when I did it.

The short answer is, Blizzards mentality to having hard bosses that blocked content was this: People are complaining that Sunwell was too hard, that Naxx was too hard, so now we will make it easier, but PACIFY the hardcores with bumped up content, then make them want to do it to get the ass kicking tabard of ass kickingness.

Im not gonna rant anymore, it gets me angry a little. What I will say is this, and again its just my opinion from a guy who spent 20 hours a week, I enjoyed it, right up to the part that it was too much time for my personal stuff. There is NOTHING wrong with that. I played Quake 2 CTF religiously, I was in the #1 clan in the U.S. at least 3 times. I knew what it took then, I know it now. The mentality is that of all of the U.S. right now which hurts culture: Lets make it so that no one feels bad about themselves because they cant do it.

And to cover the other side of the argument, if I was to start the game right now, never playing the other content from vanilla, I would think its great too, because I wouldn't know what it was to raid back then, and I'm quite able to separate that from how I feel. Call me stupid if you want, but I loved slogging out MC every week for 2 years.

Offline Arkanos

• Guild Member
  • not-a-noob
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 12:32:36 AM »
I will heartily agree del about warriors... the class has been railroaded ever since tbc as a tank.  First the rage nerf, then aoe tanking, now lack of taunts.  While someone can argue about the "utility" of a warrior give me a dk or pally any day.  Doing Yogg +1 with a warrior is asking for punishment, vs with any other class (barring an unholy dk, snicker) and ultimately it was Aunt's skill that overcame the detriments of the class to net us the kill.  Some of the hard modes ARE very difficult in that they require you to oh, not be a moron (fire bad, mkay), but this really should be the norm, not the "hard" version.  Hell when they released the patch prior to wotlk guilds STILL failed on archimonde because of morons standing in the fire.
Theres no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Offline Delmore

• Friend of Excalibur
  • noob
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »
After playing my warrior for a while and actually "raiding" something, I will say this:

We are not totally broken.

That is all.

Well not really. Overall after taking on about 30 mobs in Naxx last night, I noticed that the only thing we are really missing is a quicker AoE taunt. If Challenging Shout was a little less CD wise, it would be simple. Even then, with Vigilance from another warrior tank(if you EVER had 2) taunt is 0 issue EVER. Taunt is always up. So the moral of the story is, if you want to use a warrior take 2, not 1.

Im kinda having some fun after taking a break, not like before, just different.

Offline Erylith

• Guild Member
  • not-a-noob
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »
Even then, with Vigilance from another warrior tank(if you EVER had 2) taunt is 0 issue EVER. Taunt is always up. So the moral of the story is, if you want to use a warrior take 2, not 1.

There are only two warriors on the server who do this. Everyone else goes "No I vigilance the mages"

Cheers,
Ery
85% voted me easiest to beat in duels

Offline Starfire

• Spammer Extraordinaire
  • Friend of Excalibur
  • Spammer
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »
I like warrior tanking. My tanking experience has been pretty varried (warrior at 60, warrior & paladin at 70, warrior, paladin & death knight at 80, only ever tanked on my druid up to level 50).

But to me, paladin tanking is the most bland and boring. Warrior aoe tanking has GREATLY improved since level 70. Shockwave is amazing, so is damage shields and the ability to 3 target cleave helps a lot. Yeah, it's not as easy as dropping Consecrate or Death and Decay, but when shit is easy, it's not fun either. To me, paladin tanking is ass boring, I did it at 70 because it was effective for aoe tanking... and besides Sunwell, we aoe tanked our way through Hyjal and Zul'Aman.

The real difference-maker though is, I find Warrior and Death Knight to have superior mechanics in the fun department. Death Grip is awesome. It really is fun. I personally don't think Charge is as cool as Death Grip, but Warbringer coupled with Intercept and the shorter cooldown on Charge is good enough.

I do think when it comes to boss fights, Paladins are the superior tanks mitigation/ease-of-healing wise, but even raiding isn't "all" about bosses. People need to have fun with the class they're playing, trash and 5-mans are also part of the game too.

Warrior tanking is a lot better at 80 than it was at 70.
Starfire - 60 Priest

Offline Cedric

• not-a-noob
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »
ERY Wrote: Everyone else goes "No I vigilance the mages"

Hopping out of Lurk mode to ask a question or three...

Whatever happened to the mechanic of having a Paladin maintain BoW on a mob/boss for wanding/caster mana regen?

Has the DPS race made damage whores out of everyone to the point that certain mana regen mechanics are not worth the time to use anymore??
Taking it easy in my old age :)

Offline Dweedy

• Leader
  • Spammer
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2009, 12:00:24 PM »
from a mages perspective Ced (ps: good to hear from you!) with mana gems, and evocation I just dont get 'THAT' low on mana anymore.

I guess as the mana pool's got larger (what, 15-20k is the BASIC average for dps casters now?) it just got left behind. When it was actively used (i remember AQ20, second boss with all the waves where you NEEEEDED it) it was 45 mana per wand on an 8k mana pool.

I'm also guessing Blizzard removed it from the game because I never hear it even mentioned? :)!
-=| The Dwee's |=-
The battle chicken will get us all.

Offline drucilla

• Knight of Spam
    • http://www.excaliburguild.com
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2009, 02:11:01 AM »
CEDRIC!!!
...I put on my robe and wizard hat...

Offline Starfire

• Spammer Extraordinaire
  • Friend of Excalibur
  • Spammer
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:58 AM »
JoW is still very important for certain classes, namely hunters and to a lesser degree it's important to warlocks and to an even lesser degree enhancement shamans and ret paladins.

All holy paladins should be using either Seal of Wisdom or Seal of Light; depending on the fight though a lot of holy paladins may opt to use both Seal of Wisdom and Judgement of Wisdom while meleeing the boss to regenerate mana.

But also, maintaining Blessing of Wisdom and Judgement of Wisdom is much easier now, since holy paladins can Judge Wisdom from 40 yards away, Seal of Wisdom lasts 30 minutes and well Greater Blessing of Wisdom lasts 30 minutes as well.

Not to mention they lowered the cooldown on other things, like Innervate is now 3 minutes and Arcane Mages only have 2 minutes on their evocate.
Starfire - 60 Priest